a postcard from Harz, Germany | travel diary

September 30, 2015

Half a year ago on a cold Sunday in March, I met up with Celina and showed her around my hometown. We were talking, walking and taking pictures of all these building and places I had passed by a thousand times already and it was then and there when I realized that there's so much beauty in the familiar. And a few days later, I uploaded a picture from that day to Flickr to remind myself of this realisation. And of course I forgot.

Until last week, when I was hiking through the beautiful Harz Moutains in the heart of Germany together with my boyfriend. I was standing by the rocks of the Teufelsmauer, when this feeling hit me again. I've obviously known of the existence of the Harz for a while, in fact I already went there quite a few years ago together with my family, but being someone who wants to travel the world and visit all those distant places, I tend to forget how beautiful the not so far away places actually are. So I was standing there, in the middle of nowhere, in central Germany (it doesn't really get any more German than that) and my heart was filled with so much joy. The kind of joy I usually get when I am hundreds, maybe thousands of kilometres from home. The same feeling I last felt at the sight of the stunning Mont-Saint-Michel in France a month ago. It was breathtaking. Everything around me was German, so very familiar, but still so incredibly beautiful.





And of course I also filmed a vlog, make sure to watch it if you want to see what exactly we did each day:

You Might Also Like

5 comment/s

  1. "Richtig, richtig cool!"

    Oder in meinen eigenen Worten: Wunderschöne Fotos! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh die letzten Bilder sind echt besonders schön. Da lohnt es sich, vor dem Frühstück rauszugehen!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sehr schöne Bilder :) Ich habe die Schönheit meiner eigenen Heimat, dem Erzgebirge, auch erst erkannt, nachdem ich weggezogen war :) Eine gute Mischung aus Liebe zur Umgebung und Fernweh ist denke ich, das Beste :).

    ReplyDelete